Congratulations on your engagement! This is a really exciting time in your life and there is plenty to do which is why we have created this engagement bucket list for you.
In this article, you’ll find some of the best things to do during your engagement.
We start with some fun engagement to-dos and then finish out with some important things that every couple should do during their engagement.
Let’s dig right in!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Affiliate Disclosure for more information
The Ultimate Engagement Bucket List
1. Have a fun engagement party!
When two people get engaged, it’s a cause for celebration! Friends and family come together to congratulate the couple and to help them plan their upcoming wedding. But what about before the wedding? Many couples choose to have an engagement party to kick off the planning process and to celebrate their engagement with loved ones.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to throw a fun and festive engagement party, you’re in luck! There are many different ways to celebrate your engagement, and the sky’s the limit when it comes to choosing a theme or setting for your party. Whether you want a casual get-together at your home or an elegant soiree at a swanky hotel, we’ve got you covered.
So what are you waiting for? Get started on planning your perfect engagement party today!
2. Show off your ring on social media
As we become more and more connected to one another through social media, it seems only natural that we should share our most personal moments with the world. And what could be more personal than announcing your engagement to all of your friends and family? If you’re planning on sharing your good news online, make sure to flaunt your ring!
A ring selfie is the perfect way to show off your new bling and get everyone excited for the upcoming wedding. Not only will your friends and family be impressed by the sparkler on your finger, but they’ll also be able to start planning their attendance at the big day. Plus, a ring selfie is a great way to document your journey from proposal to wedding day.
So how do you take a good ring selfie? It’s all about lighting and angle.
3. Have fun at your bachelorette and bachelorette parties
Bachelorette and bachelor parties have been around for centuries, and they show no signs of going away. In fact, they are getting more popular all the time. If you are planning a bachelorette or bachelor party, it’s important to make sure that everyone has a good time. Here are some tips for having a great party:
Get spoiled at your showers
Your bridal shower is a fun party that is all about you! All you need to do is wear a cute outfit and enjoy yourself with friends and family!
4. Have engagement photos taken
While you may be tempted to skip out on engagement photos, don’t. Not only are they a great way to commemorate your engagement, but they can also be used for save-the-dates, wedding announcements and more. If you’re still on the fence, here are four reasons why you should have engagement photos taken.
5. Create a wedding website
When you’re planning a wedding, the to-do list seems never-ending. But one thing you can cross off your list is creating a wedding website. These days, almost everyone has one, and there are plenty of reasons why.
A wedding website can keep your guests in the loop on all the details of your big day, from the ceremony time to where they should park. Plus, it’s a great place to post photos and updates after the wedding.
6. Choose a fun wedding hashtag
Hashtags have become an integral part of the social media experience. They help to organize content and make it easy for users to find related posts. When it comes to weddings, hashtags can be a fun way to keep everyone connected and engaged.
Shutterfly has a free wedding hashtag generator you can use.
Here are a few tips for choosing a wedding hashtag:
1. Keep it short and sweet. A hashtag should be easy to remember and type in.
2. Make it unique. Come up with something that is specific to your wedding and won’t be confused with other events.
3. Use relevant keywords. Include the names of the bride and groom, the location of the wedding, and any other relevant terms.
4. Be creative! Get inspired by your location, theme, or simply what you love about each other as a couple.
5. Spread the word! Have a sign at your wedding telling everyone about your hashtag and make sure they use it when they post photos of your wedding.
7. Plan your honeymoon
Now that you are engaged, it is time to start planning your honeymoon.
The first step is to decide when you want to go on your honeymoon. Do you want to go right after the wedding or do you want to wait a few months?
Once you have decided when you want to go, the next step is to decide where you want to go. There are so many amazing places to choose from. Do some research and find the perfect place for you and your new spouse.
Once you have decided on a location, it is time to start booking things. Make sure to book your flight and hotel as soon as possible and don’t forget to send a message to the hotel to tell them that you are honeymooners!
8. Choose a cute outfit to wear on your wedding night
There is something about a wedding night that just feels so special. Maybe it’s the anticipation of finally being able to be together as a married couple.
Or maybe it’s the thought of finally starting your life together as one.
Regardless of the reason, you want to make sure that you look your best on this special night.
One way to make sure you feel confident and sexy is by choosing a cute outfit to wear.
This could be something simple like a dress or skirt that shows off your curves, or something more provocative like lingerie. Whatever you choose, make sure it makes you feel confident and beautiful.
The most important thing is to have fun with it! After all, this is your wedding night, and you should enjoy every moment of it.
9. Plan a farewell single girl brunch with friends
Now that you’re engaged, brunch with your single friends probably won’t be as much fun.
Why not plan a special goodbye get-together before your life becomes all about bridal showers and baby showers?
Invite your besties over for a girl’s only morning feast complete with mimosas, breakfast foods, and plenty of laughs.
This is the perfect opportunity to reminisce about all the crazy things you’ve done together over the years and to toast to many more memories to come.
10. Practice self-care
Many people view self-care as a luxury, but it’s actually essential for our well-being, especially while you plan your wedding. When we don’t take care of ourselves, we become run down and more susceptible to illness.
That’s why it’s important to make self-care a priority in your life. Here are a few tips for incorporating it into your routine:
1. Make time for yourself every day. This could be as simple as taking a relaxing bath or reading your favorite book.
2. Eat healthy foods. Not only will this make you feel better physically, but it will also boost your mood.
3. Take walks and exercise regularly.
11. Take a weekend getaway with your fiance
Most couples are bogged down with wedding planning stress this time of year. If you’re one of them, take a break and go on a weekend getaway with your fiance!
It will do wonders for your relationship and help to refresh you for the rest of the planning process.
Plus, it’s a great way to celebrate your engagement!
12. Surprise each other with little notes
Romantic surprises can keep the spark alive in a relationship.
A little note with a heartfelt message can make your partner’s day. Here are a few ideas for how to surprise your partner with a little note:
1. Write a love poem or song lyrics.
2. Include a picture of you and your partner from when you first started dating.
3. Draw or sketch a picture of something that reminds you of your partner.
4. Write down five things you love about your partner.
5. Say “I Love You” in as many different languages as you can think of.
13. Go for a couples massage
Couples massages are a great way to spend time with your partner and relax together and get away from the stress of wedding planning.
14. Take dance classes together
One way to get closer to your partner is to take dance classes together. Dance classes are a fun and unique way to bond with your partner while getting some exercise.
You can choose from a variety of dance styles, such as ballroom, salsa, or swing. Dancing together will help you learn more about your partner’s body and movement, and it will also help you develop better communication and coordination skills.
15. Learn a new skill – cooking, baking, pottery
Taking a class together is a fun way to connect and maybe learn a new hobby.
Cooking, baking, and pottery are all skills that can be learned relatively easily. They can provide a fun and productive way to spend your time, and they can also help improve your quality of life.
Learning to cook is a great way to learn to prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family.
Pottery can be a great way to express your creative side, and it can also be a great way to relax after a long day.
16. Work out together
It can be tough to stay motivated when trying to get wedding ready on your own, but imagine how much easier it would be if you had someone to help keep you accountable!
Working out together is a great way to do just that.
Not only will you have someone to help push you through those tough workouts, but you can also bond over your shared fitness goals.
Plus, getting married is a perfect opportunity to start living a healthier lifestyle together — and what could be more rewarding than that?
17. Sit down and talk about finances
Talking about money is never easy, but it’s a necessary conversation to have if you want to be successful with your finances as a married couple.
Here are a few tips to get the conversation started:
1. Come up with a plan. Sit down together and create a budget or financial plan that you can both agree on. This will help keep you accountable and on track.
2. Be honest. If one person is hiding money or debt from the other, the problem will only get worse. It’s important to be open and honest with each other about your finances.
3. Set goals together. Working towards a common goal can help keep your finances in check. Whether it’s saving for a vacation or paying off debt, make sure both of you are on board and working towards the same goal.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
18. Consider going to couples counselling
When you are planning to get married, it is important to think about all of the possible things that could go wrong. It sounds negative but the more prepared you are, the smoother things will go.
One of the best ways to prepare for a successful marriage is to go to couples counselling before you get married. This will help you learn how to communicate with your partner, deal with conflict, and resolve problems.
Many churches offer pre-wedding couple counselling for free so it is worth checking there if you attend a church already.
19. Discuss your dreams for the future
Do you have dreams for your future? What are they? How do you plan to achieve them? Having a frank conversation about how you want the next 10-20 years to go is a great way to start your marriage off on the right foot.
20. Go to a wedding expo or show
If you are recently engaged, or even just considering getting married, you may want to attend a wedding expo or show. These events are a great way to get ideas for your big day, meet wedding professionals, and learn about the latest trends.
Most expos and shows have a variety of exhibitors, from caterers and photographers to florists and wedding planners.
You can talk to them about their services, get estimates, and even book appointments.
Attending an expo or show is also a great way to see what different venues look like and find out if they offer package deals. And don’t forget to check out the bridal fashion shows!
21. Discover your love languages
Most people know about the five love languages: words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Knowing what your love lanuages are and also those of your partner is a great way to improve your communication and relationship.
To find out your personal love language. In order to do this, you need to answer a series of questions designed by Dr. Gary Chapman.
The quiz can be found in his book The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts.
After you have taken the quiz, you will have a better understanding of which love language(s) resonate with you the most. Once you know your love language(s), you can start using them to improve your relationships.
22. Start your wedding planning
If you’re engaged, congratulations! The next step is to start planning your wedding. While it might seem daunting, it’s important to remember that it’s supposed to be a fun and exciting time. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Start by figuring out your budget. This will help you determine what type of wedding you can have.
2. Choose a date and location. Once you know these, you can start booking vendors and venues.
3. Decide on your theme and colors. This will help you determine the overall look of your wedding.
4. Start creating your guest list. This can be one of the most difficult tasks, but it’s important to get as many people as possible involved in your big day!
5. Begin shopping for dresses, tuxes, flowers, and other decorations.
23. Create your wedding registry
When you’re planning your wedding, one of the first things you need to do is create your wedding registry. This will allow your guests to choose the gifts they want to give you. There are a number of things to consider when creating your registry, such as what type of gifts you want and where you should register. Here are some tips for creating your wedding registry:
1. Choose the right store. When selecting a store, think about the types of gifts you want. If you’re looking for kitchen supplies, register at a kitchenware store. If you’re looking for home decor, register at a home goods store.
2. Consider budget. Don’t overload your registry with expensive items; instead, include a variety of prices so that everyone can find something they want to give you.
3. Think about your needs. Don’t just grab pretty things, get useful items that you can use such as new bedding, small kitchen appliances and pots and pans.
24. Take an adventure
Do something new and go on an adventure together. Whether it is hiking in a National Park or skydiving, doing something adventurous is a great bonding activity.
So pack your bags and get ready for an adventure!
25. Watch tons of fun wedding themed movies
One way to add some fun to your planning is by watching movies that are themed around weddings. They will get you in the mood for your own nuptials.
Here are 5 of our favorites:
- The Wedding Planner
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- The Wedding Singer
- Four Wedding and A Funeral
- Wedding Crashers
26. Spend time with other couples
Spending time with friends who are also partnered up will help you build a bevvy of couple friends for double dates and even vacations together.
Spending time with other couples can help to remind you of the good things about your relationship, and it can also help to open your eyes to new possibilities.
When you spend time with other couples, you’ll get to see how they handle disagreements and how they show their love for each other.
27. Spend time with your future in-laws
When you are dating someone, spending time with their family is inevitable. While some people may dread this prospect, it can actually be a really great way to get to know your partner’s family and determine if they are the right one for you.
Spending time with your future in-laws can also help build a strong relationship with them, which is important since they will be part of your life once you get married.
Ask questions about their family and what they like to do together. This will give you a better understanding of their family dynamics and the kinds of things they enjoy doing as a group.
28. Insure your engagement ring
Most people don’t think about insurance until they need it. And by then, it’s often too late. That’s why it’s important to plan ahead and insure your engagement ring and other valuable possessions.
Your engagement ring is a symbol of your love and commitment. It’s also a valuable piece of jewelry that you’ll want to protect. Whether you’re buying insurance on your own or through your homeowner’s policy, it’s important to make sure your ring is fully covered.
In the event of a theft or loss, insurance can help you recover the cost of your ring. It can also provide peace of mind in case something happens to your ring. So don’t wait until it’s too late – insure your engagement ring today!
29. Take an online quiz to learn more about each other
The last thing on our engagement bucket list is a personality quiz. What better way to learn more about someone than to take an online questionnaire?
By taking a fun quiz, you will learn more about the person you are able to marry and you may even learn something you that you didn’t know.
The New York Times has a great list of the 36 Questions That Lead To Love.
30. Start A Pinterest Board
Create your own Pinterest account and fill it with wedding inspo like dresses, venues and decor. You can even add your bridal party or wedding planner as collaborators so they can work with you to create your dream wedding.
31. Take A Break From Wedding Talk
Wedding planning can be all consuming and soon you will find you talk of nothing else. Schedule a wedding-free weekend and announce a blackout of all things bridal and wedding for 48 hours. Binge a show on Netflix and just enjoy each other’s company.
Why You Need An Engagement Bucket List
Of course, you need to plan the wedding but it is also important to take time together to just enjoy the moment and savour your whole engagement.
A bucket list of activities can help you stay in the moment while you are waiting for the big day to come!